We are in week 4, the Project and Fundraising Campaign phase of the EKCEP Spring 2022 Session: SDG 11 . The Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 11 – Ensuring Sustainable Cities and Communities is the topic of this session. During this phase, the students will apply the knowledge and skills gained in the program’s first phase to running a successful fundraiser and implementing a community project.
The project design is such that students will work on developing and implementing a project in their school/community. Students will apply what they have learned to their project idea to promote sustainable communities within their neighbourhood.
The funds raised will support their ideas to purchase the necessary equipment and materials for their project and successful implementation. Also, this will help the making of sustainable communities globally with the collaboration of Canadian and Nigerian high schools.
The Relevance of a Fundraiser in EKCEP?
A growing population brings new and adverse challenges to communities, increasing global warming, the need for affordable housing, and decreasing job opportunities. Sustainable communities are essential in creating inclusive, economically stable, and environmentally conscious neighbourhoods. With the increase in severity of different climatic events, we must start to practice and encourage sustainable practices to lessen the harshness of these impacts associated with communities that are not practicing sustainable actions. Sadly, we need financial resources to solve these issues, which becomes a barrier to taking action to mitigate these impacts.
We build a fundraiser into EKCEP because we know these barriers exist. Running a fundraiser gives the students direct experience of raising capital for social projects that financial institutions may not otherwise fund to meet the needs of vulnerable people in our world. Bearing the fundraiser in mind, the students will be looking for your support. We hope you will look out for them on social media and support their campaigns.
The students have come up with excellent project plans. They need your help to raise the necessary funds that we allow them to bring awareness to their communities on the importance of incorporating sustainable practices and overall creating a community that will be beneficial to all.
The Fundraising Campaigns
The students have created GoFundMe (Canadian Students) and Donate-ng (Nigerian Students) pages to raise the required funds to meet the needs of the people. Please feel free to donate to one or all the teams. Here are the teams and their projects:
- Group 1: Project Title: Garden For Sustainable Communities, Project Team: Teju Modina and Varshini Modina Project Link: https://gofund.me/6fc5906d
- Group 2: Project Title: Project Plan Inequality Project Team: Kemi Ariyibi, Nnenna Enebeli, Isoken Imafidon, Ebube Obienu, Kaira Wilfred Project Link: https://youtu.be/YE_ZaT14OAU
- Group 3: Project Title: Insecurity Project Team: Chinedu Ezeh, Fredrick Omorogbe, Princess Sholabomi, Samuel Sunday, Samuel Unachukwu Project Link: https://youtu.be/1pgj3y74OQc
- Group 4: Project Title: Addressing Waste Management Issues Project Team: Chidera Mma, Onyinye Moneke, Justice Oguanyia, Newman Okechukwu, Timilehin Olowu Project Link: https://youtu.be/MwaL6sV7U5k
Fundraising is now closed. We appreciate all the donations made!
- EKCEP Program Webinar Recap - June 14, 2022
- EKCEP Spring 2022 Session: SDG 11 | The Students Fundraising Campaigns - June 14, 2022
- EKCEP Spring 2022 Session: SDG 11 | The Project and Fundraising Campaign - May 17, 2022